[arch-general] xf86-input-evdev conflicts with xorg-server. Remove xorg-server?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:26:39 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh shit, seriously? Looks like I'll have to rebuild this as well.
>
> Serious question: does ANYONE have a keyboard that didn't
> automatically work before this debacle? External keyboard always Just
> Worked without needing to do anything. The same with mice if I used
> /dev/input/mice. Sure, I didn't have a crazy Xtreme Gaming Mouse 9000
> or anything, but it never once failed for me under ordinary usage...

I just noticed there is a decent section on the wiki about this subject :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging#Rationale

Digging a bit more, I also found a similar page on debian wiki which
might be even more interesting :
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide
The fun part is that the end of the article actually gives a reference
to arch wiki page.

Debian also have a bunch of "we do not need hal" whiners, which lead
to a bug report. And for example this answer from a developer is also
informative :

I have yet to see someone serious and informed saying input hotplug
sucks. All xorg developers I have seen (on the web : ML, blogs, irc,
...) seem to agree this new infrastructure is much better.

Anyway hal is dead :
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2009/Notes?highlight=%28hal%29|%28udev%29#head-75cccc4e4968dd043dcf2166dff61afd7d0d06c5
But since that functionality is definitely needed, it will have to be
replaced.. somehow.