[arch-general] conclusion: Another rant on arch way abuse and false promises

Raghavendra Prabhu raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:24:10 EST 2009

One thing I don't understand here is - why people crib that package B should
not have feature X. If you don't want that, ABS is for that. There are
plenty of packages which have additional dependencies like that mplayer(like
smbclient) or vlc(hal :) or lua).

And secondly, if you have stuff like hal/dbus running, it is not going to
slow your system unless you are running it on your mobile or a 100MHz CPU. I
have tried  hal/dbus  with and without. I don't see a noticeable latency.
 But disabling dbus can help in situations where you are not using that DM
or some other reason.(for example - evince - i disable it, thunar - i
disable it)

Finally, true anti-desktop is using lynx  or watching mplayer with ascii
renderer :) , all in virtual terminal(with directfb if required)