[arch-general] Unable to Install Arch on Server

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Dec 2 16:17:25 EST 2009

Am Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:30:43 -0500
schrieb Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Carlos Williams
> <carloswill at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Daenyth Blank
> > <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think that usually means that your grub+initrd combo is broken
> >> somewhere. Post your configs?
> >
> > There are no configs. I am trying to do a fresh install. There are
> > no Grub configs...yet. I just downloaded the 2009.08 netinst ISO and
> > burned it to a CDROM. The error you see is when I boot from the
> > CDROM.
>
> Try the ISOLINUX ISO and see if that boots. Your machine might not
> like booting from a CD via GRUB.

Maybe I should add here that the problem is that the link /dev/archiso
which points to the CD/DVD drive is not created by a udev rule.

Executing `udevadm trigger` at the ramfs$ prompt creates this link,
which should be created automatically.

Executing `exit` at the ramfs$ prompt after that continues booting.

So I don't think that this has anything to do with the grub+initrd
combo. I guess it has something to do with udev, some hooks or the
kernel modules.

Heiko