[arch-general] [*] Re: conclusion: Another rant on arch way abuse and false promises

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Dec 3 02:19:46 EST 2009

Am Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:16:47 +0100
schrieb Arvid Picciani <aep at exys.org>:

> The general ignorance towards power user setups might explain why
> people describe us as "old timers who can't get along with change" or
> "ricers" funny thing is that the wimp desktop didnt change in 20
> years while antidesktop brings new and fresh ideas all the time.
> Just think about keyboard-user browsers. THATS a HCI improvement.
> Guess where 10GUi got its ideas from..

There's no general ignorance towards power users. You generally ignore
the desktop users.

"The wimp desktop didn't change in 20 years" shows that you're really
ignoring desktops and don't know anything about desktops. WIMP desktops
have changed a lot not only in the last 20 years but also in the last 5
years. That's probably why such things like hal and dbus are necessary.
fvwm2 is or at least was a good window manager but is indeed an "old
timer".

Compiling hal/dbus into xorg doesn't force you to use the mouse. You
don't need to install xorg. Just keep using the console and the
keyboard. I don't know if xmonad needs xorg. If yes hal/dbus wouldn't do
any harm, too. Nobody detains you from using the keyboard. But if
hal/dbus e.g. was removed from xorg then other users would be detained
from using some software they need.

There are not only console users but also desktop users. As I said
before. If you really want a minimal system I'd suggest using Gentoo.
But you will see that you will be forced to set several USE flags and
rebuild several with minimal features built packages depending on what
other packages you install e.g. hal/dbus.

And nobody said that there haven't been improvements in anti-desktop in
the last years.

Heiko