[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Felipe Tanus fotanus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:38:15 EST 2009

2009/12/3 Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
> <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, fellow archers.
>>
>> I've created a new email with a new subject, so that who wants to
>> ignore this completely, can do it easily.
>>
>> The recent past discussions about DBus got me thinking about an
>> unanswered question: what is technically wrong with DBus? After some
>> time researching about that, I can't find that answer by myself.
>>
>> DBus is just a way to make applications communicate. It can be used in
>> several languages, namely C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, and many
>> more. There are tools for it in bash, although there's some
>> limitations with that, but is very easy to do something fast in python
>> or perl or ruby or...
>>
>> It (DBus) has some interesting mechanisms to activate daemons just
>> when needed. I find this feature very interesting, so that you only
>> spend the resources when you really need.
>>
>> One restriction is that it is not network enabled, so it only works
>> locally. But in the home page, there is a invitation to improve that
>> situation (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DBusRemote).
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to read what others have to say about DBus, but
>> please give techinical reasons. I don't want to know who likes and who
>> dislikes DBus. And I don't have anything against who dislikes DBus.
>> Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
>
> Mechanisms have existed for like 20 years before dbus to communicate
> with other programs. dbus is just another way to do it that has a
> smell of "architecture astronomy" - as if they all scoffed at the
> actual ways to do IPC on various Unicies and said "Oh, I can design
> better".
>
> That's why I dislike it.

Hi,

       Aaron didn't give any tech reason in his answear, and i don't
think someone will do, except the one you already said at your first
e-mail(no network). People who don't like DBus find it just
unecessary. I like DBus because I belive it unify the IPC in a way
others methods can't. It's more a question of taste than tech.

         []'s

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus at gmail.com
Blog: http://www.itlife.com.br
Site: http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~fotanus/
-----
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - Gandalf