[arch-general] peaceful suggestion to clarify "the arch way" to avoid this to happen AGAIN

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Thu Dec 3 17:23:14 EST 2009

>> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>>> I personally think your mis-reading the "Arch Way".

> So another person who mistakes the use of simplicity for minimalism. I
> thought we had been through that many, many times.

Can we, independently of the technical details of dbus, agree all,
that I and some other people have been interpreting the arch way wrong?

If yes, can we please change the wiki to reflect that?

i suggest removing the words "minimalistic" and "unix like"
from

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

also possibly "A freshly installed Arch Linux system contains only basic
core components" as the definition of "basic" is unclear.

additionaly i propose that a conclusion to this whole thing is noted on
the page, that says something like:

"Archlinux is optimized, to work well with all desktops, not just one,
including that it will not sacrifice commonly available desktop software
for the sake of simplicity."

It's very fuzzy, as i try not to offend anyone again.
maybe more concrete:

"As an example: there have been ongoing discussions to sacrifice feature
X,Y for the advantage of commandline or antidesktop users, and to the
disadvantage of desktop users. This is not what archlinux is about, as
we want to provide a good user experience for the largest possible user
base"

I prefer a clear "this distro is not for you, go away" over "we share
your mindset. maybe. or maybe not.".
and this would have helped to avoid this situation alltogether.

Thank you.

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies