[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Thu Dec 3 19:05:24 EST 2009

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> have to say about this dependency?

what i didn't mention, but is apparantly nessesary, is that i was
actually deep involved into the whole foodchain of kde and gnome before
they started acting like kids and thought they need to copy windows for
the greater good.

The Gedit author failed to recognise the problem alltogether, even after
explaining,...

Does not seem
> 'necessary' to me, but depending on the app's structure the choice could
> be between:-
> a) some new feature which requires dbus
> b) not having the feature

.. that singleton patterns have been around for ages and have in fact
nothing to do with dbus, doesnt depend on dbus, and is easier to
implement without dbus.

> Which would then lead to the question whether the app's design allows
> dbus to be loaded only when necessary instead of linked at compile-time.

It's a non technical issue. The patch is 4 lines.

> I doubt many apps are designed to allow dbus to be used 'if and only if
> available' at run-time?

Its the general mindset that every each and one of us should be forced
to accept the global thruth.

--
Arvid
Asgaard Technologies