[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Dec 4 07:47:12 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 00:52 +0100, Arvid Picciani wrote:
> Pierre Chapuis wrote:
>
> > Take gedit for example. It is a text editor, and:
> >
> >     [23:44 TA|catwell] ldd $(which gedit) | grep dbus
> > 	    libdbus-glib-1.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2 (0x00007f5df48bb000)
> > 	    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007f5df467c000)
> >
> > AFAIK it uses dbus only to communicate with itself (between its instances).
> > There is no iteroperability problem, so D-Bus is not that useful to me.
> > But then again, maybe I don't know how gedit works well enough to judge...
> >

> funny thing:  gedit is the first time i noticed the problem.
> then i went emacs, and now emacs depends on dbus.

I think that is because emacs decided to be an operating system instead
of a text editor. Seriously, when I read the last release notes, I
though: "WTF does a text editor need dns-sd for?". Seems they
implemented that functionality through dbus, which is the only way to
communicate with Avahi (actually the avahi client libs do it for you).
I always thought GNU was about one tool - one job, but then they
violated that by building emacs.