[arch-general] coreutils 8.1 major problem

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 10:04:05 EST 2009

Hi everyone,
I've just noticed coreutils 8.1 in [testing] repo and I think I should
warn you. Unfortunatelly it has one quite bad regression which can
break quite many scripts.

There is a change in rm command (it's fixed in git repository) that
when you try to remove "" it immediately exits without removing any
other specified files. Unfortunately this breaks many scripts and
Makefiles(IIRC there's problem with eg. libxt).

I suggest NOT to upgrade to coreutils 8.1 before the old behavior is restored.

more info:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2009-11/msg00348.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2009-12/msg00004.html

best,