[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Dec 4 16:02:06 EST 2009

On 12/04/2009 03:50 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 02:09:49PM -0500, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> The answer to *that* question, as he wrote, is so that "when you
>> start a second Gedit process, it opens a new tab in your current
>> Gedit window instead of creating a new one".
>
> And why should that happen at all ? If I wanted a new tab
> in the current Gedit window then I'd use whatever controls
> Gedit provides to get one. And to be able to do that Gedit
> doesn't need any IPC at all. If I start a new process that
> means I want I new window.
>
> Ciao,

Perhaps there's a configuration setting that lets you toggle this?  I
really don't know.  Under KDE some editors have this behavior on by
default (Kate) while others don't have it at all (Kedit/Kwrite).

But this is besides the point.  There's legitimate functionality here
that requires the use of dbus (or something similar).  Whether you
personally *like* that functionality is a separate issue.

DR