[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Dec 4 16:59:10 EST 2009

On 12/04/2009 04:11 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:02:06PM -0500, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>
>> But this is besides the point.  There's legitimate functionality
>> here that requires the use of dbus (or something similar).  Whether
>> you personally *like* that functionality is a separate issue.
>
> It is not beside the point. To create a new tab, just provide
> a 'New Tab' button. Or have tabs from the start and label the
> next free one '+'. It doesn't require IPC at all.
>
> Ciao,

Here's a common use case (and probably the reason why that feature got
added in the first place):

You're looking through your file manager at a directory full of text
documents, and you double-click on whole a bunch of them to edit them in
gedit.  It would be nice if they all opened in the same editor instance
(i.e., in a new tab), rather than having dozens of separate editor
windows open up.  (I use this functionality all the time, and find it
very helpful.)

Having a "New Tab" button doesn't solve this problem at all.  The only
thing that does solve it is the ability for an existing gedit window be
able to get notified about the "open another document" request.  And
that requires dbus (or similar) to make it happen.

So again, there's a legitimate feature here that requires the dbus
dependency.  If you don't need or want that feature, or don't use a GUI
file manager, or feel that gedit is "bloated" because of this, yada
yada, then by all means choose a different editor.  There's loads of
them - as I'm sure you're aware - and I'm sure there's at least one that
doesn't have a dbus dependency.

But frankly when you wrote that gedit shouldn't "require IPC at all" it
seems to me that what you really mean is "gedit isn't minimalist enough
for me" since it provides a bunch of features that you don't need/want.

DR