[arch-general] [OT] What is wrong with DBus anyway?

Raghavendra Prabhu raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 02:26:02 EST 2009

Correct me if I am wrong here, but the objective of dbus/ipc is to
vastly simplify programming -- suppose you need to write a program
which opens document in gedit as one of the steps....  He doesn't need
to know about the command line flags of gedit.By having a single
interface like dbus, it simplifies his task.
Also one more thing, ipc interface like dbus is preserved across
versions, whereas the cli flags can change.  It is more like interface
in object technology where interface remains same but underlying
implementation can change(and shouldn't matter to you).

I think  dbus brings all those OOPs to larger level.
I largely think people here are also OOP vs normal procedural (or C vs
C++). It is like C++ is slower than C(but there is some advantage
also)