[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kernel 2.6.32-1

Nezmer at allurelinux.org Nezmer at allurelinux.org
Sat Dec 5 08:44:26 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 02:13:57PM +0100, Attila wrote:
> At Samstag, 5. Dezember 2009 09:56 Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
>
> > Isn't it against Arch philosophy to split packages it binary and header
> > packages?
>
> First the headers from the kernel package was even a reduced amount and if you
> look in the PKGBUILD only for the cases if you build some packages for yourself.

I agree with Hussam here.

If Arch wants to be (disk)size-effective, We would end up with hundreds
of Debian-like *-{header,dev} packages.

The developers are free to do whatever they want of course. Supporting debug
packages for example is a feature the developers want to provide in the
future and nothing is wrong with that.

I just don't think splitting header packages is practical with distributions
that support a port-like system. I know the kernel might be an exception but
I still think the decision to split the headers is interesting and worth
commenting on.