[arch-general] Unable to Install Arch on Server

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sat Dec 5 14:21:44 EST 2009

On 05.12.2009 17:39, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 05 Dec 2009 14:30:10 +0100
> schrieb Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:
>

>> You could try this one
>> (http://phraktured.net/archlinux-2009.12-netinstall-x86_64.iso) we are
>> currently preparing for the next release. It uses a newer kernel and
>> isolinux. Please tell us the results. That image I linked is
>> experimental of course.
>>

> Could you, please, tell me how I can build the iso myself?
>
> I tried it with the method djgera explained to me on flyspray
> (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17231?project=6):
>
> # mkarchroot  /tmp/coco base git cdrkit squashfs-tools devtools make
> pwgen
> # mkarchroot -r /bin/bash /tmp/coco
> edit the mirrorlist for pacman
> # cd /tmp
> # git clone git://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git
> # cd archiso/archiso
> # make install
> # cd ../configs/install-iso
> # make net-iso
>
> Last step stops with an error, because it can't find isolinux.img or
> something like this. I forgot to copy the message.
>
> I want to test something because I have a new suspicion.
>
> It could be the lines
> ACTION!="add...", GOTO="..."
>
> I once tried to write two udev rules to set two different links to /dev
> depending on which stick was plugged in. One stick should be added
> as /dev/usbkey and only as /dev/usbkey and any other stick should be
> added as /dev/usbstick and only as /dev/usbstick.
>
> So I've created a file 00-usbkey.rules with this rule:
> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd?1", ATTRS{serial}=="241F44065F1F0032",
> NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="usbkey"
>
> and a file 01-usbstick.rules with this rule:
> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd?[0-9]",
> ATTRS{serial}!="<serial number>", NAME="%k", SYMLINK+="usbstick%n"
>
> Now the stick which should added only as /dev/usbkey is added
> as /dev/usbkey but also as /dev/usbstick1. Any other stick is added only
> as /dev/usbstick1.
>
> I was always able to use my scanner with my unprivileged user. Now I
> wanted to scan something after a longer time but xsane and scanimage
> -L couldn't find the scanner. It could only be found by root.
>
> During the search for the reason I found the
> file /lib/udev/rules.d/53-sane.rules.d which contains the line:
> ACTION!="add", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"
>
> After commenting this line and running `udevadm trigger` the
> unprivileged user can find the scanner again. But it still can be found
> after commenting out this line again and rebooting the system.
>
> So I have the suspicion that "!=" in udev rules don't work or at least
> not as expected.
>
> I'd like to build the iso by myself and remove the lines
> ACTION!="add...", GOTO="..."
> from the udev rules.
>
> I can be completely wrong and it's possible that I made a mistake in my
> udev rules but I think it's worth testing it.
>
> Greetings,
> Heiko

Why of course, just follow my guide:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso
I always update that guide with most recent upstream info so you should
be good.
Just go to configs/syslinux and "make" and it should work right away
without further stuff you have to do.
You can change the files in the overlay dir to make your udev changes.
Please report any errors and any success.

-- Sven-Hendrik