[arch-general] Kernel 2.6.32 and Radeon KMS

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Dec 8 00:52:39 EST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 09:05:18 and regarding:
> I'm confirming this as well. Mine fails at radeon/R200_cp.bin, though.
> have no diode on it but it just tries to burn a hole through my laptop.
> Again, KMS performance is just as bad as with kernel 2.6.31. I get
> better performance without KMS and the system runs a lot cooler in idle
> as well. My card is a puny rv250 (aka Radeon Mobile 9000).

Sven,

	I have the RS690M (x1200) card and the gpu used to get so hot with earlier additions of the 1.25x radeonhd driver that it was uncomfortable to rest my palms on the laptop palmrest. AMD really fsck'ed all of the laptop users when it dropped all support for pre-2400 series cards in March automatically converting many fairly new laptops (Q1 2008) to "Legacy" boxes. The fglrx driver did such a marvelous job with gpu powerdown and downclocking that thermal was never an issue and performance was great. Thankfully the radeonhd driver has gotten much better in power management in the past 3 months that I can use the palm rest again, but performance is still way low. Best we can  do is keep our fingers crossed -- or go shop nvidia gpu based laptops :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC