[arch-general] Making pacman check multiple repos

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Dec 11 20:13:23 EST 2009

Am Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:58:17 +0800
schrieb Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:

> Because sometimes all the mirrors listed in mirrorlist will not have
> the file, if its just been uploaded. Also not everyone stays
> up-to-the-minute with updates, judging by the "updated after a month"
> posts we see once in a while.
>
> I'm concerned about the last bit, if a package was just uploaded and
> only exists on one mirror, everyone who updates and has that package
> in the period between its uploading and its appearance on their local
> mirrors will 'fall-back' on varying mirrors (lengthening the update
> process) and all end up on the poor main server (or Tier 1/2 mirrors).
> Bad for both the mirror bandwidth as well as most probably much slower
> for the user, who could probably just wait a day or so for the update
> to come to his (faster, presumably) local mirror.

Wouldn't it be possible to first upload the packages and update the db
files when the packages on the mirrors (at least on several mirrors)
are updated?

If I have such a "problem" that a package is on no mirrors, which
doesn't happen often, I usually abort the system update and wait one
day. I think that's the normal and easiest way of solving this issue.

Greetings,
Heiko