[arch-general] Making pacman check multiple repos

Jeroen Op 't Eynde jeroen at xprsyrslf.be
Sun Dec 13 16:50:22 EST 2009

On 12/13/2009 10:33 PM, Brendan Long wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 12:07 +0100, Jeroen Op 't Eynde wrote:

>>> One possible alternative to explicitly storing a history of checksums is
>>> to checksum the dbfile, and name it as such. instead of core.db.tar.gz,
>>> you'd have have core.[checksum].db.tar.gz and these would be stored for
>>> some time on the master. In order to make it secure the standard
>>> checksums would have to be upgraded to something with less collisions
>>> than md5.
>>> Of-course this also raises the question of 'what happens when the master
>>> goes down?'.
>>
>> I'm following this topic, and I a bit with Qadri. I think it should
>> be/stay the responsibility of the user.
>> My solution to get up-to-the-minute packages is very simple:
>> -put ftp.archlinux.org on top of the mirrorlist
>> -do pacman -Sy
>> -comment ftp.archlinux.org out of the mirrorlist
>> -do pacman -Su
>> And then it goes through the list of servers for the latest packages.
>>
>> Change the way how the mirrors and how updating works is unnecessary IMHO.
>>

> Aren't you doing exactly what's being proposed (check the master for the
> package list, then download from a faster mirror), just manually? If you
> think that it's the best way to do things, why not make it automatic?

I'm doing basically the same manually, yes. It was in an answer to the
question of Qadri. Damn, when I my email again it seems I forgot to type
some words, I'm dyslectic, sorry.

Well, to respond to your question: I'm not always interested in doing it
that way, I just do it when I'm impatient to get a new package or
something. Mostly I just update from more local servers, which have a
database at an age of few hours or sometimes a 24 hours.

--
Jeroen Op 't Eynde
jeroen at xprsyrslf.be
http://xprsyrslf.be