[arch-general] I know of $repo, is there a $arch too?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Dec 15 02:06:20 EST 2009

On 12/14/2009 04:16 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:
> This is the second time I'm being stupid when modifying my mirrorlist
> and I by accident put in a i686 repo on a 64-bit machine.  I can
> report that running 32-bit sudo on a 64-bit machine is fraught with
> problems :-)
>
> So, just to work around my stupidity I was wondering if it is possible
> to put something like $arch in the mirrorlist, so I can stop writing
> out i686/x86_64?  That would at least take care of this problem for
> the system repos.
>
> /M

Mangus,

	I feel your pain. I did the same thing not too long ago and it about drove me
crazy before I figured out what happened. I don't know if it is plausible, but
it would sure help protect us from ourselves if in the preinstall dependency
checks for conflicts, etc., pacman would scan the list of packages to be
installed and compare the architecture to the system. Then if conflicting
package architectures were found, pacman could just dump the list saying
something like:

The following list of packages were prepared for (i586/x86_64) architecture
and you are prepared to install them on this system with (machine
architecture). Do you really want to do this? (yes/no): ___

	I don't know if you can quickly get the package architecture by some other
method than substring extraction on the file name, but that in itself is
simple enough. Food for thought :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC