[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 18:22:53 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 20:49 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:40:03 -0700
> Brendan Long <korin43 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Isn't the Arch installer always graphical, with a menu and stuff?
> > Just because you use your keyboard instead of a mouse and it doesn't
> > use X doesn't really make it any less user-friendly does it?
>
> no. it can also do fully automated installations.
>
> but it's a quite recent feature so I don't blame anyone for not knowing
> it.  (take my previous reactions with a grain of salt and some humor ;)
>
> Dieter

It does fully automated? Haven't looked at the installer since
installing (go figure).

Ubuntu's installer goes much faster though, if the benchmark is 'to a
working gnome system', especially for those of us with slow internet
connections who aren't able to download half a Gb here and there at the
snap of a finger. Nothing to do with the point-and-click, more about the
fact that with Arch you do have to download pretty big files, and
multiple times (sort of like, install xorg and related packages,
wait.... configure, install alsa/sound related packages, wait...
configure)