[arch-general] Kernel 2.6.32 and Radeon KMS

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:21:36 EST 2009

On 12/08/2009 01:47 PM, Smith Dhumbumroong wrote:
> Well, I think it depends on support for your card. On my ATI card
> (age-old X700), while using KMS does gives me less FPS in glxgears, most
> 3D apps run noticeably_faster_  with less glitches. For example,
> transparency in Neverball is working properly now while in the older
> kernel it have been broken for quite some time. I'm using the current
> 2.6.32 kernel, BTW.
>
> Try testing using real application, such as the aforementioned
> Neverball, to better see the different.

Unfortunately you are 100% correct -- depends on the card,

	Also unfortunately, my laptop has the RS690M (X1200) where the radeonhd driver is completely broken and has been since late July. We have gone through git bisect until my head swims, but still no solution. With the current radeonhd driver, X initializes but then shuts itself down for reasons unexplained:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/compiled/server-D378AD8F86E560F712A83EE36E4E5E92C595B9BD.xkm
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Video Bus: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) RADEONHD(0): Attempting to disable power management
(WW) RADEONHD(0): AtomBIOS command table 19 does not exist
(II) RADEONHD(0): Query for AtomBIOS Exec: not implemented
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Failed to set power management
(II) RADEONHD(0): Query for Set Power Management: failed
(II) RADEONHD(0): Attempting to disable clock gating
(II) RADEONHD(0): Current Engine Clock: 400000
(WW) RADEONHD(0): AtomBIOS command table 47 does not exist
(II) RADEONHD(0): Query for AtomBIOS Exec: not implemented
(WW) RADEONHD(0): Unusupported SetVoltage Revision

	Hopefully we will have more time to work on it shortly. It  S U C K S  to have a laptop that worked perfectly and fast with the unavailable 'legacy' driver, now not work or work like crap with the "new" driver. Progress...???

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC