[arch-general] A universal Operating System API - why don't we have it?

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:31:04 EST 2009

Pierre Chapuis <catwell at archlinux.us> writes:

> There are things like that (think NDIS - it's Microsoft, but it's a
> step in the right direction), just not enough , but I think it's a
> question of time.

And then there's the UDI (universal driver interface) (UDI), which Stallman
doesn't like.  I can certainly see arguments for both sides of that
issue.

As an aside, I interviewed for a job with MS last year.  At some point,
the device driver issue was discussed.  One of my interviewers made the
comment that a universal driver interface would be a bad thing, because
it "reduces competition".  I don't think that they like commoditized
things at all.

-- Chris