[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 14:10:39 EST 2009

On Fri 18 Dec 2009 17:54 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > I agree with Dieter, that the install should be measured by speed and
> > automation -- but long ago I realized that there a whole lot of other
> > people out there that just don't think like me :p
>
> Don't misunderstand me.  An interactive hold-your-hand-a-bit
> installation processes is a good thing for many use cases (if
> implemented correctly).  There are many ways to judge
> installations by.  I'm only saying: if one chooses to judge an
> installation system by the criterion of speed, then (s)he better gets
> his/her facts right before calling our approach slow[er].

It's probably considered slower because there is a lot of prior
knowledge that is required. It may be easier (and faster) for someone
who has no computer background to install Ubuntu than to install Arch.

With Arch that person would have to do a lot more reading and learning,
which would take a lot more time.