[arch-general] Kernel 2.6.32 Broken

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Dec 30 21:26:52 EST 2009

Am Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:54:16 -0700
schrieb Steve Holmes <steve.holmes88 at gmail.com>:

> Hey, has anyone been experiencing any problems with the newest
> kernel26 package from Arch? this would be 2.6.32.2.  After upgrading
> to it, my machine starts to boot but then dies.  When I downgrade to
> kernel26-2.6.31.6, all works fine again.  I'm a totally blind guy so
> haven't had a chance to get anyone to look at the screen for me but
> one thing sure, no messages get logged to /var/log/syslog or
> messages.  Just thought I would check to see if I'm not alone with
> these kernel problems.  For now, I'm gonna have to downgrade my kernel
> once again so at least my machine will work again.

If you, too, don't use [testing] and get kernel panics then this is
because there is at least one important package update which is needed
by kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 missing in [core]. I guess it's mkinitcpio. If
you update your system to [testing] then it works again.

So the packages which are currently in [testing] urgently need to be
moved to [core] or kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 urgently needs to be moved back
to [testing] until the other packages are moved to [core], too. I think
the first option is the better one.

This should be done before more users, who are using the stable repos,
get serious problems.

See my bug report at http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17649 and my e-mail
"[arch-general] Kernel panic with kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 from [core]".

Greetings,
Heiko