[arch-general] Kernel panic with kernel26 2.6.32.2-2 from [core]

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Dec 30 22:35:10 EST 2009

Am Thu, 31 Dec 2009 08:29:01 +0530
schrieb Partha Chowdhury <partha at gmx.us>:

> i just updated my system yesterday to kernel 2.6.32.2-2. I faced no
> problem. It is running as usual.After reading your mail, i looked in
> the pacman update log and found that only kernel and virtualbox were
> updated.Virtualbox is running fine also. and I don't use testing.
>
> About the kernel panic message,"Failed to execute /init" it means
> either the init script in the initrd image is messed up and it is not
> set executable or the /sbin/init executable in your system is
> missing ! you have to uncompress the kernel23.img file and take a
> look at init.

I already did it and I couldn't find a problem. I also rebuilt
kernel26.img several times with different settings in mkinitcpio.conf
but this didn't help. I, btw., didn't change any settings when updating
the kernel.

Only updating the system to [testing] and rebuilding kernel26.img with
the new mkinitcpio version from [testing] fixed the issue.

So something has definitely been broken.

Greetings,
Heiko