[arch-general] hwdetect with kernel upgrade?

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Tue Feb 3 01:03:06 EST 2009

Am Dienstag 03 Februar 2009 schrieb David Rosenstrauch:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A long time ago, I posted that with kernel upgrade, the module insertion
> > hangs till I hit enter.
> >
> > I ran hwdetect and updated the modules array, sans the standard acpi
> > modules and it now works reliably every time. It can boot unattended now.
> >
> > AFAIK, the module-names and functionality is prone to changes from kernel
> > to kernel. Should we automatically run hwdetect or advise users to check
> > it in case of kernel upgrade?
>
> I thought you can do this already by setting MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in your
> rc.conf.
>
> DR
Hi
hwdetect is a installation helper program of archboot isos, it's not used in
any script on pacman -Syu.
Names and functions of modules can change it's up to the user to adopt those
changes as well, sure you can use hwdetect to get a new list of MODULES= for
this, but it will be not involved in upgrade scripts.

greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski