[arch-general] Step 3: Configure X- B: Input hotplugging

Paulo Santos paulo.r.santos at sapo.pt
Wed Feb 11 20:14:56 EST 2009

Preston C. wrote:
> I think I have got it this time, :-). Here are the questions:
>
> I would like to use input hotplugging. So, I need to configure it.
>
> Are these the correct commands to run, in this order:
> # pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
> # usr/sbin/groupadd -g 81 dbus
> # usr/sbin/useradd -c 'System message bus' -u 81 -g dbus -d '/' -s
> /bin/false dbus
> # /etc/rc.d/hal start
>
> Or just:
> # pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
> # /etc/rc.d/hal start

As for me, I didn't have to add dbus to either groups or users. Probably
added when hal was installed or something. I do have the entries in
/etc/group and /etc/passwd though.

> After running the correct command sequence listed above (whichever one
> it is), it seems that I need to "Add the hal daemon to the DAEMONS
> array in /etc/rc.conf to start it at every boot." I do not know how to
> do this?

In /etc/rc.conf, the last line of that file, is the DAEMONS array. It's
an array with all the daemons that will start automatically when your
computer boots.

To add hal daemon to the array, just write its name on it:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal ...)

Paulo Santos