[arch-general] Problems with Bluetooth packages

Ricardo Hernandez ricardoh26 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 00:47:24 EST 2009

Greetings, i write about this right here because i can't file a bug report
for an outdated package.

Bluetooth in Arch is in a developing process and for that some apps are
broken. For example, obexftp 0.22 can't be builded and don't seem to work
with bluez 4.x. I build 0.23-alpha and compiled perfectly. Maybe i put it in
AUR but i think is worth a dicussion for inclusion in Arch if is decided to
use bluez 4.x and don't use bluez 3.x at all.

Also, bluez 4.29 have some real big bug, it simply can't pair almost any
device (not mine at least). That's reflected in the bluez page and there's a
new version 4.30 that address this issues. One more time i know i can build
my own packages but as i said it needs to be updated.

I said all this because i think that for now is better to support bluez 3.x
and 4.x. For example in gentoo, bluez 4.x is hard-masked, it has very little
documentation, and the api and configs files change a lot, so for now adding
support for bluez 3.x i think is not a bad idea.

BTW, bluez 4.x don't include a passkey-agent (at least not with that name),
i suggest to include in the pkgbuild to install test/simple-agent, like is
mentioned here: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12851?string=passkey