[arch-general] cdrecord instead of wodim

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Feb 15 18:54:38 EST 2009

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>> ong discusion. But for example in my system can't write DVD because
>> "DMA speed check fail" with cdrecord, and with cdrkit (the wodim) can
>> record without problems.
>>

> Rants without a proof do not help in case you really have a problem.
>
> There is no known problem in cdrecord related to the DMA test.
> There are many known problems in the fork....
>
> If you _really_ believe you found a problem in cdrecord, why don't you make a
> bug report? Note that you of course need to verify that there is a problem
> with the latest version.
>
> All known problems in the original software are fixed in typically much less
> than two weeks. More than 95% of the bugs in the fork have not been fixed after
> more than two years. Why do you like to use the fork if there is working
> original software _with_ maintanance?

Hi Jörg,

Now i tested the latest alpha  version  of cdrecord (
cdrtools-2.01.01a57.tar.gz ) and its work perfect without the DMA problem.
The version that failed was <= cdrtools-2.01.01a55.tar.gz, with these
versions i need to set very low write speed (when i upgraded my DVD
writer from PATA to SATA, both LG)

Now inform this: "cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been
skipped." http://djgera.pastebin.com/m35195bbe

I prefer to use cdrecord, is the soft that i used for 7 years with my
previus distribution (Slackware Linux) and as you said, is updated very
often.

Thanks for the work! :)

I take this message to make a consultation, this was one of the major
topics of discussion between you and some Linux developers. Does
cdrecord: allowing access through  dev=/dev/xyz, or as the message says:
"Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported". will be
removed in future versions?

PS: I apologize if my message was a bit confusing.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar