[arch-general] how to mount external hdd

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Wed Feb 18 05:03:08 EST 2009

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:26:37 +0100
RedShift <redshift at pandora.be> wrote:

> Preston C. wrote:
> > I think that this is a simple question. How do I mount an external
> > hard drive before I log into my desktop? Thanks
> >

> You have been asking all these newbie questions while these have been
> widely covered by The Internets. I suggest you use an Internet Search
> Machine like google first (http://www.google.com/). The wiki
> (http://wiki.archlinux.org/) and the forum
> (http://bbs.archlinux.org/) are a good place to start as well. But
> your first reflex should be to read man mount...
>
> Glenn

An external drive can be rather reliably identified and always mounted
at the same place using udev.

This is somewhat problematic on arch linux tough.
For some reason the devices seem not to be created before
mount runs although udev runs before it.
This means that external drives do not get mounted along with all the
other drives specified in fstab.

I personally wonder what the problem is since this method has worked on
other distributions.

My workaround is simply another 'mount -a' in rc.local, at this point
in boottime the devices are created.

Still this doesn't work reliably with one of my drives but this is a
separate problem (slowness).

Philipp