[arch-general] how to mount external hdd

Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 12:31:13 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Sergey Manucharian <sergeym at rmico.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:03:08 +0100
> <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:

>> An external drive can be rather reliably identified and always mounted
>> at the same place using udev.
>>
>> This is somewhat problematic on arch linux tough.
>> For some reason the devices seem not to be created before
>> mount runs although udev runs before it.
>> This means that external drives do not get mounted along with all the
>> other drives specified in fstab.
>>
>> I personally wonder what the problem is since this method has worked
>> on other distributions.
>>
>> My workaround is simply another 'mount -a' in rc.local, at this point
>> in boottime the devices are created.
>>
>> Still this doesn't work reliably with one of my drives but this is a
>> separate problem (slowness).
>>
>> Philipp
>>

> Folks, you are discussing how to deal with "noob questions" etc., but
> nobody paid attention to the more "deep" meaning of the initial
> question arisen by Philipp.
>
> I confirm the problem. So, how to mount an external HDD during the
> system start-up?
>
> Cheers,
> Sergey

If it is always connected, I would put a line on /etc/fstab so it is
mounted as any other ordinary partition.

If it is not always connected, I would make a script and put it in
/etc/rc.d. The script would be responsible to look if the disk is
attached and mount it. It would be good to use some udev rules to make
a fixed symlink for the disk, so the script has a fixed target to
find.