[arch-general] Ruby 1.9 upgrade and some more

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Feb 19 04:47:41 EST 2009

Kessia 'even' Pinheiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing a recompile of ruby for version 1.9. The needed are, in that order:
>
> - recompile ruby to version 1.9 (no change)
> - recompile vi and vim [applying the new patch's until version 108,
> arch today only apply 65] and applying a patch for make compatible
> with ruby1.9, it's done already.
> - move rails to community
> - removing rake and rubygems dependency
> - drop rake and rubygems from community to /dev/null [ruby now provides both]
> - verify which packages needed ruby and check compatibility

Hi Kessia,

Thanks for this info.  I am currently ruby maintainer but have been
holding off doing the upgrade until I had time to figure all this out.
I will wait until Tobias decides what is happening with vi/vim/gvim
until I put ruby 1.9 into [testing].

Have you tried compiling any of the other packages in the repos against
ruby1.9?

Allan