[arch-general] Wrong keyboard layout in GDM since upgrade

Sébastien Mazy melyadon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:29:02 EST 2009

Hi all,

Since about a week and a recent upgrade which didn't involve gdm, GDM
has been using the US qwerty, even though the default X.org layout is
french, variant oss (and it's the layout used by other DMs like Slim,
which I don't want to use because of gnome-keyring and other reasons).

I've been using X.org input hotplug without glitches until now, with
three keyboard layouts defined through HAL: fr, de, us. Not only chooses
GDM the US layout as default, but it prevents me from changing it using
the alt+shift toggle (which I configured in HAL and works in every
application but GDM).

How should I tell GDM to stop trying to be smart and use X.org primary
layout instead? Does anyone know how GDM find/is provided the keyboard
layout to use?

Some configuration data follows. I start GDM in the runlevel 5 using
/etc/inittab.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf: (yes that's all)

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "NoLogo" "1"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
EndSection

/etc/hal/fdi/policy/information/10-keymap.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <device>
        <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
            <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">fr,de,us</merge>
            <merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string">oss,,</merge>
            <merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">grp:alt_shift_toggle</merge>
        </match>
    </device>
</deviceinfo>

Relevant (?) extract from /etc/rc.conf: