[arch-general] Scim and arphic fonts update in [testing]

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:59:02 EST 2009

Hi all,

I've just updated several scim-related packages. They are in the
[testing] repo. The updated packages are:

anthy
libchewing
libhangul
scim
scim-anthy
scim-chewing
scim-tables
uim
scim-uim (no update, just rebuild against uim 1.5.5)

As I don't use these packages (I believe no dev use them either), I
could only do  minimal testing.  It would be nice if users of these
packages test them and report if they work properly or if there are
problems with them.

I've also updated (in [testing] repo) the Arphic fonts:
ttf-arphic-ukai and ttf-arphic-uming

There are two points about these fonts:

1. According to upstream:
"This release contains Firefly's Bitmap fonts. The Bitmap fonts are available
for 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 pixel and currently cover Big5 and GB2312.
HKSCS is currently not supported as there are many more characters missing.
So, for Big5 and GB2312 characters the bitmap glyphs should improve the
rendering, but for all other characters, the rendering is the same like
without bitmap glyphs."

I might be nice to get comments about someone using these fonts to see
if the ttf-fireflysung package is indeed no longer needed
(http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8951).

2.  The updated ttf-arphic-* packages in testing provide the fonts as
a TrueType Collection, i.e. the fonts come in 4 flavors (CN, HK, TW
and TW MBE), with different glyph shapes according to the preferred
shapes in each region (more info here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts/Download). As a
result TeX users will encounter trouble using this font.  The
following programs/libraries are known to not fully support TTC files
and can usually only use the first fontface of the TTC:
- jdk and openjdk6
- imlib2 and applications which use imlib2.

Again, I and probably none of the devs don't use these fonts so
feedback from users would be nice.

Eric