[arch-general] Intro + package maintenance

aashiks aashiks at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:04:24 EST 2009

Hi all,

Apologies for the long mail but do read on.

My name is Aashik and i have been using Arch for the last two days. I was
planning to simply try it, but decided to stick with it because i like its
simplicity. Only one annoying thing happened to me.

I am from India and my mother tongue is Malayalam. I tried to use scim and
m17n version of malayalam input methods. There were a few glitches. I noticed
that it is out of date and is currently flagged as  'orphan' when you do a
package search. To be precise,
the following packages.

m17n-db,m17n-lib,scim-m17n

There have been some commits made in the last few months from a project called
SMC ( http://smc.org.in ) which enables phonetic text input in Malayalam via
m17n also.

I did not file a bug report because it asks everyone not to report outdated
packages as bugs.Is anyone actively maintaining i686 these packages ? If not I
can do it. I have spare time ( i took some time off from work ) . I don't know
a thing about creating packages and things like that.  If someone can answer
my questions and doubts as they pop up , I can take up this task.

Regards
Aashik