[arch-general] Boot error with 2008.12

Sergi Pons Freixes sachiel at telefonica.net
Fri Jan 9 19:27:01 EST 2009

Hi all,

Thanks to a Xmas present, now I'm the proud owner of a ThinkPad X200T.
After been a time flirting with Ubuntu, I'm returning to Arch (in fact,
I've never abandoned it, because my home server runs Arch).

The X200T doesn't have an optical drive, so I tried the USB install
method. First I tried the last "official" release, 2008.06, and it
booted perfectly. Unfortunately, as you can see here [1], the kernel
included (2.6.24) doesn't fully support the wireless neither the
ethernet cards.

Then, following the recommendation from [1], I tried the "testing"
2008.12 release. But it doesn't boot. It just shows the message: Boot
error. I've checked the md5sum of the img file and the pen drive (dd
if=/dev/sdb count=875219 status=noxfer |md5sum) and in both cases it's
ok (so, no corrupt img file, and no corrupt pen drive). I've checked the
forums and in this post [2] at least two people suffer the same issue,
but there is no answer.

Any idea about the possible origin of the issue and how to solve it?

Regards,
Sergi

[1]
http://itgen.blogspot.com/2008/12/installing-arch-linux-on-lenovo.html