[arch-general] Microphone issues on ICH7

Will Siddall will.siddall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 08:14:05 EST 2009

Hey everyone,
I've had this great HP laptop for the past 4 years with no need (of
course there's always a want) to upgrade.  And of all this time, I
never had a problem with it, until now.  Out of the past 4 years, I've
never needed to use my microphone for anything, but lately I've been
sent overseas a lot for work and needing to keep in contact, decided
to start skype to call back home.  That's when I noticed that my
microphone didn't work at all.  I thought it would be skype, but
trying to use gnome-sound-recorder proved that to be wrong.  Nothing
is coming through.

I've tried running 'alsaconf' again, I've tried a huge number of
.asoundrc setups, using different microphones, everything that I can
imagine.

I'm out of ideas, would anyone have anything else I can try?  Has
anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks,
Will