[arch-general] Arch Linux Review on DistroWatch

Hugo Doria hugodoria at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:26:36 EST 2009

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090119#feature

"Conclusion

The "keep it simple" philosophy of Arch Linux really shines through in
all aspects of this distribution. It lets the user control the system
and doesn't do anything unless told to. It has the speed and
convenience of binary with the power of source and is very flexible
when it comes to optional dependencies. Being a rolling release, the
packages are also reasonably up-to-date. Other than the problem with
the Intel video driver, I have not had any issues with the quality of
the packages. Still, I have to wonder how well a smaller distribution
like this can provide overall stability. Perhaps time will tell. It
also remains to be seen how well Pacman will perform after installing
and removing thousands of packages. Certainly, Arch Linux isn't for
everybody, no distribution is, but it sure is plenty of fun and you
learn a lot. If you're the kind of person who likes to fiddle and
tweak your system, then definitely give it a shot. Once you have your
system up and running the way you want, it's very easy to maintain and
it feels great. If you've been tempted to try it out, there is a Wiki
page listing how it compares to others. As for my dream distribution,
Arch Linux comes pretty darn close."

Read the page for full review.

-- Hugo