[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Divide and Konquer - Splitting KDE packages

Tobias Röttger arch at roettger-it.de
Fri Jan 23 05:23:16 EST 2009

Aaron Griffin :
> That's great. I love the kdemod guys - they have all the spirit and
> spunk that satellite projects should have. Can we make sure we stay in
> a... complementary mode, rather than try to compete with them?
Hi,

i would love to see those packages split. I don't use kde as DE but
maybe i will use some of their programs (e.g. kopete). Currently i would
have to use kdemod's 3rd-party repos and include them to pacman.conf for
installing those 1-2 apps, but would prefer to do this from arch's
official ones.

In my opinion people want to use kdemod because of the look and some
other special tweaks as a complete DE rather than use their repository
for maybe modified single programs, so i don't see any problems for the
"complementary mode".

Regards
Tobias

PS: I hope the way i comment this was correct.