[arch-general] silent fsck at startup

Jeff Mickey jeff at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 23 11:03:35 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:45, Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also using ext3 and I'm talking about the file-system check which
> takes after every n days or n mounts during boot-up. It is not showing
> any status of file-system check. Are you getting any progress-bar during
> the file-system check ? If yes, what changes you made to get that.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Ashish SHUKLA

if [ -x /sbin/fsck ]; then
	stat_busy "Checking Filesystems"
	if /bin/grep -qw quiet /proc/cmdline; then
		/sbin/fsck -A -T -C -a -t $NETFS $FORCEFSCK >/dev/null 2>&1
	else
		/sbin/fsck -A -T -C -a -t $NETFS $FORCEFSCK 2>/dev/null
	fi

line 245..251 in /etc/rc.sysinit

fsck is running with -C which means it will display progress bars as
long as your fsck.* supports it.  I know ext2 and 3 do, I'm not sure
about the others.  You need to check your /etc/fstab to see if you've
turned off fs checks, and confirm you are actually using ext3.

Also, man 8 fsck, vi /etc/rc.sysinit, and google.com

  //  jeff