[arch-general] thunar-thumbnailer

Marco Antonio Gomez arch-listas at dbit.com.br
Sun Jan 25 19:02:47 EST 2009

Using Openbox + Thunar + Thunar thumbnailer in Arch (completely updated), I
noticed that thunar-thumbnailer, since last week, does not generate video
thumbnails anymore.

AFAIK, the problem is related to a new version of ffmpeg... My system
messages show me that ffmpegthumbnailer looks out for a libavcodec.so.51
(lib that used to be provided by ffmpeg package, that was recently replaced
by libavcodec.so.52.10.0). But the newer version of ffmpegthumbnailer in
community, still looks for libavcodec.so.51. Then... obviously "error while

I've already tried to create a symbolic link named libavcodec.so.51 pointing
to libavcodec.so.52.10.0, and when I try to do that, the ffmpegthumbnailer
returns "Error: Could not find video stream"

I've also tried to recompile ffmpeg and also ffmped-thumbnailer and all of
it's dependencys from the newer versions of each one in AUR, but it was a
frustrated attempt.

Anybody else reports the same issues? If positive, any workaround to make it
work?

Regards,

Marco Antonio Gomez.