[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [idea] global link database for all packages

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:23:16 EDT 2009

>>> rp-pppoe-3.10-1/files:etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so
>>
>> That is stupid. ppp plugins are supposed to be in /usr/lib/pppd/$VERSION and
>> the ppp package already contains the rp-pppoe plugin. Why does rp-pppoe
>> install it again? Why do we even need rp-pppoe?
>
> Good question - does anyone actually use it?

Yes I do use it,
at least rp-pppoe has the pppoe-server program that's for pppoe
servers (which I don't think is generally usefull for anyone).

But also it contains the pppoe-start/-stop scripts that are usefull
for easy connecting to pppoe without networkmanager etc.
Also it contains scripts you *must* use if your setup doesn't support
kernel-mode-pppoe.

Now,
rp-pppoe's /etc/ppp/plugins/rp-pppoe.so and ppp-2.4.4's
/usr/lib/pppd/2.4.4/rp-pppoe.so are doing the same thing, only the
rp-pppoe version should be a bit newer and better. I dont have a clear
overview of what the differences are (the ppp one is an older fork of
the rp-pppoe version), but I could make a diff and check for obvious
things if needed.

--
damjan