[arch-general] Adopt tar.xz for official repo packaging ?

Andrei Thorp garoth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:24:32 EDT 2009

Excerpts from b4283's message of Fri Jul 03 06:32:14 -0400 2009:
> i guess one of the major concerns is that tar & gzip is more common than xz.
> but since GNU is also packing their coreutils in xz packs, i guess that
> a good time to switch?

Well, one nice thing about being a distro is that you have some ability
to choose what stuff the users will have on their computers :)

And you really raise a solid argument in my view. That's like half the
size!

Does compression/decompression take longer? Are there any other bad
parts to using this compression algorithm that are worth mentioning
aside from lack of popularity?

(Note, isn't even bzip better at filesize than gzip?)
--
Andrei Thorp, Developer: Xandros Corp. (http://www.xandros.com)