[arch-general] Adopt tar.xz for official repo packaging ?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 3 10:02:38 EDT 2009

Nathan K. Bathory schrieb:
> read through the archived posts, i'm sure this was discussed already ..
> iirc the issue was with implementing this in libarchive and some
> licensing issues.

Actually, pacman does support xz and lzma decompression (except one
lzma/xz-related bug in libarchive which will be fixed in the 2.7.1
release) and I think makepkg either supports it or it is trivial to
implement. The same goes for bzip2.

Our db scripts and devtools always assume .tar.gz though, this is also
easy to change.

Anyway, pacman doesn't care, you can have a wild mix of bzip2, gzip, xz
and lzma-compressed packages (and compress the db.tar.gz the way you
want) and it'll still work.