[arch-general] pacman version string regex?

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Fri Jul 3 12:58:15 EDT 2009

Hi,

is there a regular expression describing the version comparison
algorithm in pacman/lib/libalpm/package.c::alpm_pkg_vercmp()?

I have a pacman wrapper (bash script) that needs to determine the
package name to give to pacman given a directory name, because it is
possible to give globs to filenames, but not to pacman.  I cannot use
"pacman -[QS]s <string>", because sometimes I want to glob just package
names, not descriptions.

So basically I don't want the actual version comparison, only the
removal of the version suffix including our release number.

clemens