[arch-general] Are base packages assumed?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 9 07:12:56 EDT 2009

Marco wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> I recommend putting all dependencies in depends (including base packages),
>> as direct dependencies are used by pacman to order updates - i.e. a package
>> is upgraded after all of its dependencies. This sometimes avoids weird race
>> condition on updates.
>>

>> However, we usually do not put packages from base-devel into makedepends,
>> although it doesn't hurt to do so. If you build anything from our
>> repositories, make sure you always have base-devel installed. I wouldn't
>> consider a missing makedepend on pkgconfig a bug, but a missing makedepend
>> on anything not in base-devel is definitely a bug.
>>

> I recently broke up my system with a pacman -Suy, because it installed
> readline 6 and not bash 4 (mirror not in sync yet).

Are you sure it was a "-Syu" and not an "-Sy" followed by installing
something (which many people now have discovered is bad...).  The
readline and bash packages were one after the other so readline was in
the [core] repo without base for about one second.  It is unlikely any
mirror did a sync of the repo db in that time.

Allan