[arch-general] 32bit chroot in 64bit guest

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 14 19:47:59 EDT 2009

bardo wrote:
> makechrootpkg launches sudo only once, at line 202, and this is the
> full command:
> sudo -u nobody makepkg $MAKEPKG_ARGS || touch BUILD_FAILED

I do this all the time.  I run the 64 bit kernel on a 32 bit userland
and have chroots to build for both architectures.  It takes a bit of
hacking to mkarchroot and makechrootpkg though.  I haven't

The reason it fails there is it makechrootpkg needs a scattering of
linux32's throughout.  Also, you will want it to source
/etc/makepkg32.conf (or something...) instead of /etc/makepkg.

I posted the hacked scripts I use at
http://allanmcrae.com/scripts/dbscripts.tar.gz .  Note that mkarchroot
builds for i686 and mkarchroot64 builds for x86_64 but as my pacman is
i686, I source a different makepkg.conf file on x86_64.  Diff the files
with similar names against each other to see what I have done...

You still need to manually adjust pacman.conf when generating the chroot
with mkarchroot, but from then on updating is fine.

One day I will patch the devtools to make this easier...

Allan