[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Matthew pyther at pyther.net
Sat Jul 18 14:45:43 EDT 2009

Dan McGee wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Thomas Bächler<thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Allan McRae schrieb:
>>
>>>  From experience...  not necessarily.  I got into X without doing that
>>> although I had no tty's.
>>> But exactly how do we deal with this?  Post a new item before the move?
>>>
>> Fix it: apply a cool sed line that seds vc/$NUMBER to tty$NUMBER on inittab.
>> This will not destroy anything, but potentially fix it.
>>

> Those of us not using X on certain machines would get burned here, so
> its definitely worth attempting to fix...
>
> -Dan

Although you are correct, I do not think automatically fixing the
problem is a good solution here.

First, I am not a big fan of the idea of package modifying a core file.
Secondly what will happen when a user reinstalls the initscripts? If my
memory holds me correctly the sed command will fail which will cause the
post_install() to fail, because the file already has the correct
modifications. This will also happen with users who switch between the
official initscripts and unofficial initscripts (faster boot,
bootsplash, etc...).

I would suggest including a post_install() message and posting a news
item a couple days before the move, instead. This way users can find out
about this change via the news or via pacman's output. Finally this
might be a good "reality" check for users who just install packages and
don't pay attention to pacman's output or the news.

~pyther