[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 18 22:01:41 EDT 2009

First off, I don't like modifying config files.  But, given I did this
update and still managed to screw my system up when testing it with a
reboot...

So it is a question of which I hate more; post install messages or
automatically fixing the file.

A post install message means that I tell all complaining users that they
should have read their pacman output.  But hang on, they are already
told that there is a .pacnew file for what is a very important config
file.  So I can say that anyway.  So here is my prototype install file...

post_install()
{
  if [ -f "/etc/inittab.pacnew" ]; then
    echo "You are being very stupid if you did not take notice of that
warning about a .pacnew file"
  fi
}

A simple sed of the config file means much, much less complaining
users.  And given the number of complaints I got about libjpeg7 (wheres
the thanks now gtk and kde are working?), I am very, very tempted just
to do the sed.

Allan