[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 00:29:28 EDT 2009

Holy hell this is out of control. Here's the two sides, boiled down:

* Use an automatic sed to prevent people from complaining
* Post a news item and let people do it manually.

As we can tell from this thread, people are going to bitch either way -
making the 'no bitching' argument a little moot.

Personally, I am against this but I can see it simplifying this process, so
I understand why people would want this. My biggest fear is that it goes
downhill from here. 'We did it for the tty change' will be used to justify
more and more. It's a slippery slope. Sometimes these things happen where
you need to be slightly inconvienanced in order to protect yourself from
falling into a trap like this.

However, I must point out: odds are most people don't touch inittab, so the
upgrade will do things as expected and the sed line will only do work a
small subset of end users.

And to be clear, I definitely do not like the pandering to users thing... if
people whining about stupid shit gets on your nerves, stop visiting the
forums and IRC. It worked for me! ( google 'eternal september' for kicks :).
Pyther, I like your sentiment.

On Jul 18, 2009 10:14 PM, "Daenyth Blank"
<daenyth+arch at gmail.com<daenyth%2Barch at gmail.com>>
wrote:

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 23:03, Matthew<pyther at pyther.net> wrote: > Could
someone please enlighten me...
Too true. totally agree with all of the above