[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Randy Morris randy.morris at archlinux.us
Sun Jul 19 10:23:11 EDT 2009

FWIW, I subscribe to this list and have read every post in this thread,
and my system was killed because I didn't fix the file before a reboot
out of my own laziness.  It took me all of 2 minutes to fix my system.
Could it have been prevented? Yes.  Do I really give a shit that I had
to fix it?  No, because it was my own fault.  Had this been one of the
remote machines that I administer I would have been more careful when
doing the upgrade and this wouldn't have happened.

I think of out all the options here, copying the current inittab to
.pacsave and installing a new, working inittab makes the most sense.
Then a user would at least have a chance to boot and read their logs to
see what happened if they even notice there is a problem.